Project: "Making a Jewelry Chest with Re-sawn Thuya."

   Have you ever bought wood by the pound. That is what I did with this piece. It is a South American wood called Thuya and was priced at $12.45/lb. — once weighed, it cost $46.00.
   When I found that out, I put it back — and then went and got it again. It has a super amount of very fine figuring and seems quite dense. It is about 1"   thick. I thought if I could re-saw it to thin pieces, they would make great panels for jewelry chests...and maybe be in time for Christmas.

wpe54.jpg (13139 bytes)
wpe51.jpg (12929 bytes)

  
    Before I can re-saw it, I have to do two things. First I have to figure out where I want the rectangle shape to start. I am scribing a line that I think will work as the baseline. The second thing to do is to cut the width so that it fits within the capacity of the bandsaw — 12 inches (I have a 14" bandsaw with 6" throat extended by an extender block to 12". Click here to go to that story.]
 

   To slice this "piece of gold", I need to mount it to a carrier board. This will not only allow me to cut the first rip cut, but will later be used to mount the slab on the re-saw jig.
   I am placing a few daubs of hot-melt glue on the bottom side. I then quickly flip it over and position it on the plywood. I have just a few seconds before the hit melt glue sets.

wpe54.jpg (13214 bytes)
wpe4E.jpg (15087 bytes)

       
   This close-up gives you an idea of the setup. I have the CMT rip blade on even though this is probably a cross cut. It is a think-kerf blade that does an amazing job of cutting problem woods.

    
    I have no idea how this piece will cut, so I take it nice and easy — in fact, it cut very smoothly. Once I had a straight bottom, I turned it around, reset the fence, and made the top cut.

wpe4E.jpg (15837 bytes)
wpe51.jpg (14243 bytes)

With the plywood carrier board still attached, I use 1" screws to mount the plywood to the Rockler Re-Saw jig.  I was afraid the hot-melt glue might not hold the slab solidly enough. I was very wrong. Fact is, it is going to be difficult to un-attach it from the board.
   With the screws going into just the plywood, I can slice my veneers without fear of contacting the metal screws.

      I haven't used the bandsaw since the move so I polished the table, checked the blade movement and proceeded to make the very thinnest of cuts. I was afraid if I went too thin, some weak points would just crumble. I cut my first slice at about 1/8" — I wanted to see if this thickness was doable.

wpe51.jpg (15481 bytes)
wpe54.jpg (12912 bytes)

       I was very pleased with this first cut. The wood stayed together well, and the bandsaw setup worked like a charm. I have about 1" of the slab left. I was uncertain whether I should just cut it in half, or if I should try to cut 3 "veneer" pieces like the first one.

        Well, I got "brave" and went for the three slices. The re-saw jig and the bandsaw with the re-saw blade worked like a charm. The piece on the right was the first. It appears different because I spent some time sanding it. I was impatient. I wanted to see what it would look like.

wpe51.jpg (11721 bytes)
wpe54.jpg (15410 bytes)

   I have sanded each of the pieces so that one side is flat enough to be cemented to a backer board. I have also glued them so that they are in book matched layout. I have spread yellow carpenter's glue on them and sandwiched them onto 1/4" tempered hardboard. I will add a veneer backer board later on. Right now, I want these to cure overnight.

Main Menu -- and now available in  PDF File

Next  Page